Moms are quite a phenomenal creation you know. Think about this…if it wasn’t for moms, we wouldn’t even be here. All those things moms do: drying tears, taking care of you when you’re sick, sleepless nights with fussy babies, homework encouragers, kid event taxi driver, late night conversations….you probably could add much more to this list. No matter what you call “dear old mom”, chances are she’s pretty special, huh?
Maybe you refer to her as…
- Marmie (For all you Little Women fans out there)
In fact “Mom” has been so revered that special holidays had been set in place in her honor. The honoring of motherhood goes back centuries…back to ancient civilizations. Hey, they knew a good thing when they saw it. Admittedly, these ancient civilizations worshipped a range of female deities to the Christian Church.
Factoids about how we got to the Mother’s Day that we know today:
- The ancient Egyptians celebrated the Goddess Isis…the Mother of the Pharaohs.
- The Great Mother, Rhea was celebrated by the Greeks as Mother of the Gods. This celebration would occur between March 15th and 22nd. A procession through the streets with a statue of the goddess carried at the head, followed by a display of elaborate arts and crafts was customary.
- In ancient Rome Cybele was honored as Magna Mater (Great Mother). The celebration was around the time of the Vernal Equinox. The festival—which lasted for three days—was regaled by mostly-female dancers, musicians and singers.
- Early European Christians would celebrate their “Mother Church” on the 4th Sunday of Lent. The designated place of worship would be decorated with jewels, flowers and other offerings.
- The 1600’s in England was the first sign of actual mothers being honored. It was called Mothering Day. Mothering Day provided a one-day reprieve from the fasting and penance of Lent so that families across England could enjoy a family feast—Mother was the guest of honor. Mothers were presented with cakes and flowers, as well as a visit from their beloved and distant children.
- In 1870 Julia Ward Howe conceptualized Mother’s Day in the United States. She wanted to bring mothers together to protest the carnage of the Civil War. Howe proposed an international Mother’s Day to recognize peace and motherhood.
- Now we’re getting close to the Mother’s Day we all recognize today. Way back in 1908 Anna M. Jarvis campaigned for the creation of an official Mother’s Day in remembrance of her mother and in honor of peace. On May 10, 1908, the first official Mother’s Day celebration took place at Andrew’s Methodist Church in Grafton, West Virginia and a church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Two carnations were given to every Mother in attendance.
- In 1912 West Virginia became the first state to officially recognize Mother’s Day, and in 1914 Woodrow Wilson signed it into national observance, declaring the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day. It has been celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of May ever since.
What to Get for Mom
I bet you have Mother’s Day on your mind, huh? Are you wondering, “What the heck am I going to give Mom this year?” Let me give you some advice and guidance. Consider what “Mom” would really appreciate…that’s the key!
“Moms” are aunts, sisters, grandmothers that touch your life. Think about a gift that will make a lasting impression. It is not always the most expensive gift, but the most appropriate gift, that’s the best.
Now, I’m not saying that you specifically give one of these gifts…ponder these as food for thought. The point – consider getting something special for Mom this Mother’s Day. If your Mom is anything like mine – she more than deserves it!
Here are our favorite gift ideas from local community offerings
Kristy’s Boutique – The best in tea boutiques
113 West Meeker Street
Puyallup, WA 98371
ph: 253 445 8210
Does Mom enjoy tea, and best of all tea rooms with magnificent atmosphere? Then consider giving Mom a gift from Kristy’s Boutique. Kristy’s has a wide variety of specialty teas…and Kristy’s Boutique also carries fashions from New York to Los Angeles. Make reservations for Mom today!
Fife Flowers – Order Early for Mother’s Day and Relax!
1504 54th Ave., E.
Fife, WA 98424
Mom’s LOVE receiving flowers on Mother’s Day. You may ask, “Where should I go to get Mom the best in flowers?” Well that’s easy…Fife Flowers! The experts at Fife Flowers will help you select just the RIGHT arrangement for Mom, because they know you want to give Mom an arrangement that will make her day!
Chick’s Golf Too! – For Fabulous Chick Golfers!
Ah, maybe Mom likes to golf? Hey, it could happen. Dads aren’t the only ones who golf, you know. A gift from Chick’s Golf Too! would be perfect for the Mom who is at home on the golf course. These offerings have a definite style. Chick’s Golf Too! carry fun accessories and apparel Mom would love. How about the exclusive “Chickie” ball-marker? The “Chickie” ball-marker is crafted especially for Chicks Golf Too! by internationally-known designer Bonjoc ball marks.
Mama Stortini’s – Join Us For Mother’s Day Brunch!
3207 East Main Puyallup, WA 98372
Mama Stortini’s means fantastic food and an incredible dining experience for Mom on her day! Make reservations for Mother’s Day Brunch…Mom will not be disappointed!
Using many ingredients indigenous to the Pacific Northwest, Mama Stortini’s offers fresh Dungeness Crab, Fresh Salmon, Alaska diver-scallops, petite manila clams in its menu. Sourcing local dairy products and produce, Mama’s Stortini’s makes an effort to deliver only the freshest of local products.
Goldenrod Jewelers – Mom’s always love the shiny stuff
118 S Meridian, Puyallup, WA 98371
Goldenrod Jewelry will help to make your selection for a memorable Mother’s Day gift a wonderful experience. The experts at Goldenrod Jewelry will show you a wide variety of choices such as gift cards, giftware, custom designs…and yes, Red Box diamonds.
Red Box offers some of the most beautiful and exquisite diamonds in the world. Each diamond comes with an individualized grading report, a guarantee that the stone will maintain its value and comes with free world-wide loss protection.
What Mom doesn’t LOVE diamonds?
Tayberry Cottage Bed and Breakfast – Puyallup’s Premier Bed and Breakfast
The Tayberry Cottage Bed and Breakfast is a charming Victorian, with claw foot tubs, wrap around porch, fabulous hot tub and tin-ceilinged kitchen. Guests from around the world have enjoyed and returned again for privacy, warm hospitality, delicious breakfasts and wonderful memories. Make this year a special Mother’s day for Mom with a gift of the Tayberry Cottage Bed and Breakfast. Mom will LOVE the deluxe accommodations, rich charm and wonderful amenities.Tweet
Pingback: Mumsie Day | Free Arthritis Information
[…] Mother's Day Meaning as well as Gift Ideas | Steve's Light Bulb Moments […]
How much is a link to your site? My site http://yahwe.ru/
What do you mean?